By Mary E. Labie
Some of us have been members of Friends of Red Rock Canyon for many years and
others for not so long. It helps to have an occasional reminder of our mission and the
benefits we have (and provide) as members of Friends of Red Rock Canyon.
“Friends of Red Rock Canyon – dedicated to the protection and enrichment of Red Rock
Canyon National Conservation Area.” It is a straightforward statement but what does this
really mean? It means this: We provide essential assistance to the Bureau of Land Management to fill and augment the flat-lined federal funding.
Our help includes providing financial support for educational and environmental
programs along with the critically needed volunteer staff required to maintain, protect and
preserve Red Rock Canyon.
Our members provide the majority of volunteers at Red Rock – and your member dues
are a main source for funding projects! There are many volunteer opportunities available in
areas ranging from interacting with Red Rock Canyon guests to helping shape the policies
and direction of Friends of Red Rock Canyon.
Concerned about not knowing what needs to be done and how to do it? Training is available
to provide all the information needed for specific volunteer programs.
How does being a member help you and Red Rock Canyon? Your membership provides the
following benefits in addition to providing program support:
• You will receive our magazine, the Rock, which is created, published, prepped and mailed by volunteers. The articles are interesting and informative and are also
written by volunteers.
• Monthly e-newsletters are sent to keep members informed of trainings, events and
program dates. We also let you know about “must have” items found at the Red Web (the
Friends website store) and the Elements Gift and Book Store.
• Speaking of stores — all members receive a 25% discount on regularly priced purchases through the Friends Red Web store and the Elements Gift and Book Store at the Visitor Center. Please be sure to show your member ID card at Elements. There is no need to do this on the Web site; we know you and will credit your account for your discount. Please remember, your membership must be current to receive the discounts.
• All members are invited to our three yearly meetings. These meetings include free coffee and water, Friends updates, interesting speakers and door prizes. The Annual Meeting, usually held in September, is for election of Officers and Board members and member approval of the budget for the next fiscal year. Your vote counts!
• All members are also invited to the annual Volunteer Awards and Appreciation celebration
held each November. We do charge a nominal fee. Our member volunteers are recognized for their much-appreciated contributions to Red Rock Canyon. This is a celebratory event including a meal, auctions and great company.
• Training. We’ll help provide training for you if you need it for a volunteer interest.
CPR/First Aid, hike leader/interpretive training…
We want you to be the best you can be. Your support provides the resources to remove
graffiti, bring “at-risk” students to the Rock for an educational field trip, care for the
tortoises, fund trail maintenance and repair as well as protect cultural and natural resources,
maintain and repair boardwalks, educate the community and so much more.
Last, but certainly not least, as a member, you have the satisfaction of knowing that you are
contributing to the preservation of Southern Nevada’s crown jewel — Red Rock Canyon.
Everything we do benefits Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.
Thank you for helping us preserve this wonderful place.